In this courageous and radical book, renowned yoga therapist and mother-of-three Uma Dinsmore-Tuli explores the sexual politics of yoga from the perspective that women’s spiritual transformation is the most potent revolutionary force. It includes:
- a comprehensive history section covering women’s contribution to (and exclusion from) traditional hatha yoga
- a Goddess-inspired section guiding a woman from her first period to postmenopause
- illuminating personal life stories and experiences from hundreds of women
- specially conceived, guided yoga nidra practices
- instructions for womb-friendly asana and pranayama practices, including restorative yoga, for every part of a woman’s life and menstrual cycle
Intimate and scholarly, irreverent and inspiring, Yoni Shakti brings womb yoga, tantra and feminism together in an astonishingly powerful combination.
This revised and updated edition includes a lengthy new preface with previously censored material. It includes recently uncovered information about abusive yoga teachers and organisations, and an updated decolonising bibliography. The chapter on Yoga Nidra and the ‘Note to Men, Transgender and Non-binary readers’ have been substantially edited to reflect developments since first publication.